If your beauty routine is full of the same old products and methods you’ve been using since high school, then it’s time to change it up–and, while you’re at it, why not replace your conventional, mass-market brands with non-toxic combinations you’ve made yourself? From peach-scented lotion to petroleum-free lip gloss, you can heat, stir, and mix your way to safe, beautiful skin, hair, and makeup then vote on your favorites in our View and Vote slideshow.
While eating yogurt that’s past its expiration date isn’t always a sure bet, it can still work wonders for your skin. If it’s only a few days old, try mixing it with honey and cucumber for a refreshing face mask.
Have an old makeup case lying around? Instead of trashing it, refill it with a combination of cinnamon, sugar, and essential oils for a blush alternative that looks as sweet as it smells.
Summer sandals, swimming, and flip-flops can do a number on your feet. Smooth out your rough heels and dry, cracked skin with this pumpkin foot scrub—it’s a fall-friendly way to say goodbye to damaged skin.
Lessen the damage that shaving can do to your face, neck, legs, or underarms with this simple cream made from melting sunflower oil and glycerin soap. You’ll get all the benefits without the synthetic chemicals.
5. Six Soothing Summer Beauty Treatments Fresh from the Farmer’s Market The bulk of summer’s produce bounty may be over, but you can still put leftovers to work with these homemade recipes for everything from toner and face masks to fruit-scented lotions–all of which help your skin keep that midsummer night’s glow.
6. Save Water, Energy, and Money with DIY Dry Shampoo Cut your energy bill, skip plastic bottles, and trim your water use with this guide to dry shampoo. You’ll have clean hair in no time—and with no fuss. What could be better?
7. Yogurt and Honey: 2 Key Ingredients in Your DIY Facial The same things that make yogurt and honey so good for you inside make it just as essential for your skin on the outside; see what, why, and how to make the most of these foods (without eating them).
8. Nourish Your Skin with This Organic Blueberry Facial Masque If you already love blueberries for their sweet taste and health benefits, then wait until you see how good they are for your skin. You’ll never see fruit salad the same way again.
9. DIY Tinted Beet Lip Gloss Beet juice for color and olive oil for moisture blend together to make a sweet, shiny lip gloss that will keep your pucker perfectly smooth without petroleum and other iffy chemicals.
10. DIY Eco-Friendly Hand Softener Forget the cocktails: mix lemon juice and vodka with olive oil, sea salt, and other on-hand ingredients for this leave-on skin treatment that gives you soft, smooth hands and nails.